Pages

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

It's just a shadow

I’ve found the answer. I have found the elixir of the ages – it’s Grace. Finding it and allowing myself to soak in it has been the delight of my life. Then I look at my bank account and it does not align with my revelation of grace. You feel me? I don’t know what to do except ask Dad to provide and take the stress away, but every time I bring it up, He points me to Himself! “I see you Dad, I really do. For the first time, I see you; but I must be missing something! I hear men and women of faith speak about your divine intervention and provision. I used to think that only applied to certain people who are living right, but now I know it applies to me too. Yet, I can’t see how I’ll get from here to there; from my lack to my plenty in You. I don’t know how this is going to work out and it’s making me worry. Help me see, Dad!”

Have you prayed this prayer? Have you ever had more month at the end your money? Where is the grace for those moments? Then comes the answer, "my grace is sufficient for you." “Really," we cry, "but I also need the provision that comes with your sufficient grace, Lord! Where is it?”

Does God live in or outside of time? Outside, of course. Then why do we have a hard time believing He’s answered our prayers? Because we live inside time. I don’t care how much faith you have, you are affected by the constrains of time every day. Yet, He has given you the ability to see outside the limits of time so that you can walk in confidence and not fear the shadow. Now, it may seem like I’m about to use Psalms 23 to address a non-lethal event, but there’s something about shadows that interests me in this context. Do shadows bite, can they harm you?

Are we afraid of shadows of lack, misfortune, death, illness, demise? Yes. It’s hard not to be. Fear is part of the human experience, and it’s not all together a bad thing. How we react to shadows and intimidation by the enemy is what indicates whether we are waking in the flesh or the spirit. Shadows can’t harm you but they can cause you great distress. Sometimes I wonder if I've given up too fast on things, in my past, because I saw a shadow. You?

“Jesus, there’s a shadow over me and I am afraid of being swallowed up by whatever's casting it. I want to walk confident and un-afraid because I know you are with me, never to forsake me. I want to focus on you and not the waters that are beneath my wet feet, but it’s really hard. And now you’re telling me that your grace is sufficient for me? Dude, you’re killing me!”

“I became poor so you could be rich. By my stripes, you are healed. I was bruised for your iniquities. You are righteous, redeemed and acceptable in My sight. Everything I have, you have. My inheritance is your inheritance. I’m not broke, so you’re not broke. I’m not afraid, so don’t be afraid.”

I’ve heard Him say this many times in scripture and under sound teaching; we’ve heard Him countless times. Before grace, these words meant that I needed to respond and play my part. "If I just pray more, or fast and give, God will surely move on my behalf," I would say. That was the old man, thinking and walking in the flesh. Because of His grace, however, this is my present reality – I’m rich, healthy, unafraid and wholly pleasing to God. Right now! I'm stuck with it. Permanently! So why are my pockets still empty and how do I walk like a rich man with empty pockets?

Well, now that I’ve reaffirmed my current state and reality in Him, and what Grace has done with regard to my provision, wrapped up outside time, I choose to walk rich. It’s a choice. When God said we cannot please Him except that we walk by faith, this is what he must have meant; living in time but ignoring evidence presented within its context. In any case, it’s just a shadow. Can’t touch this! Your pockets are full, your storehouse is overflowing because you're the child of a generous God. These are not promises for you and me if we do such and such, no. Right now, we are as He is.

Oh, this wonderfully scandalous grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment